Header

Header

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Tips to minimize mommy meltdowns


Hello everyone!
Hope you’re enjoying your Sunday night before another crazy week begins! I don’t know about you, but I always feel a bit blue on Sunday night as the weekend is nearly over, and I am the most unfriendly person on Monday morning before getting some caffeine.   Vulnerable day to have a mommy melt down?  You bet.   There is a reason why I started playing angry birds, so I can cool off and face the crazy kids again.  And one of my dear friends who’s also a stay home mom, keeps a good amount of small Pellegrino sparkling water in her refrigerator, and she can reach for one any time she feels like she’s about to explode.
Below are some useful tips that I found on BabyCenter’s blog, hopefully they will come in handy when you face some tough parenting moments.  

Tip #1 – Count to 10:
It’s a classic, but sometimes it still does the trick.

Tip #2 – Have an Ally McBeal moment:
Remember that show? Ally used to have fantasies about breaking a chair over someone’s head, or throwing wine in someone’s face and then snap back to reality with a slightly glazed look on her face. Sometimes a little fantasy retribution is very satisfying.

Tip #3 – Picture the child sleeping:
All children look angelic when they are asleep. My daughter and I can have the worst bedtime and yet, as soon as she’s out, I take one look at her face in repose and my heart melts.

Tip #4 – Remember what it felt like to be a kid:
You were small and everyone else was big. No one ever listened to you. Everyone else made the rules. You were too young to do anything fun. For all the great things about childhood, there are many that were not so great. Try to put yourself in your child’s shoes for a minute.

Tip #5 – Remember when the little tyrant was a snuggly babe:
When my seven year-old spitfire is actually spitting fire, I try to put out the flames of my own ire with memories of snuggling the little hellcat when she was just an infant. It brings out all mushy maternal side.

Tip #6 – Remember something sweet the little cherub did:
Though kids know how to push our buttons, they also know how to tug at our heartstrings. Recalling a sweet mother’s day card or a special hug or a “You’re the best mom ever” moment can help you simmer down even in the heat of an argument.

Tip #7 – Step back and look at the Big Picture:
It’s SO hard to do sometimes, mired as we are in the thick and sticky day-to-day grind, but if you can get a little perspective, you usually realize that the crisis-du-jour isn’t worth getting your panties in a twist over.

No comments:

Post a Comment